Friday, 12 August 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes....

Our sound editor Al does double-duty with his second guest blog this month. Today he's talking about change....

Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose…

I have to admit that through most of my working life, I have been one of those people who’s a little averse to change. In my previous job, I had to deal with all manner of problems and got used to the “change is bad” approach, rather than looking at ways to alter things to try to make stop the problems re-occurring!

I always thought that change tended to just offer the same amount of problems simply by being inherent in well…change.

Being a freelance sound editor, and thus self-employed, has meant that I have been offered up a lot of challenges for sure and these challenges have resulted in a lot of change.

I have found that in the work environment, I have to be adaptable and flexible as I always thought I was (but in reality the exact opposite was probably more accurate!) and when faced with some of the issues that I have been presented with over the past year these two attributes have been right at the forefront of my approach to the way I do things - and I’ve just got to get on with it!

One example is the way that we have to supply finished edited audio product to one of the major retailers - they provide the rules and we have to alter our way of working to fit those parameters. Like a lot of “change,” at first it seemed illogical and unnecessary, but having worked with it for a couple of months, I now wonder why I ever thought that - it’s just become the norm - and this change has in some ways even made things easier.

As the title of this piece translates “…the more things change, the more they stay the same.”  I can take this quote and interpret it in my own way. If like me you come from the “change is bad” camp, try thinking that far from being something to be scared of, you can actually achieve a better balance by embracing change.

Sometimes we are forced to change - circumstances dictate this and we just have to adapt to the new. I think that it’s a good thing to look on all change in this way - sometimes we may even get the chance to combine the old with the new too, that way we get to have the best of both worlds!

One thing is for sure…constant change is here to stay! - Al Muirden

No comments:

Post a Comment