Friday, 13 August 2010

Was W.C. Fields right?

W.C. Fields said, "Never work with children or animals...."


Ali and I have both recently been voice directing kids – not for Creative Content, but for other projects – and we’ve been comparing notes. The general consensus is that it’s a blast – but there are some funny moments.


For example: for publicity purposes, I recently had to interview a couple of child voice artists on camera. The little girl was like a 7 year old Joan Crawford, but it was a bit different with the boy... oh what the heck. I’ll do it as a play.


(Names have been changed, to protect the adorable...)


LORELEI: "Harry, when I ask you a question, can you answer in whole sentences?"


HARRY: "Yeah."


LORELEI: "So if I say, 'what character do you play,' you say, 'The character I play is Josh'. Got that?"


HARRY "Yeah."


LORELEI: "Whole sentences."


HARRY: "Yeah."


LORELEI: "'The character I play is Josh,' okay?"


HARRY: "Yeah."


ACTION!


LORELEI: "So what character do you play, Harry?"


HARRY: "Josh."


LORELEI: "Whole sentences, Harry. 'The character I play is Jo--"


HARRY: "ThcharctrIplayisJosh."


LORELEI: "Yes. That's the idea. So what character do you play, Harry?"


HARRY: "Josh."


LORELEI: "And um... what's the best thing about playing Josh?"


Silence. Staring.


LORELEI: "Well, what's the worst thing about playing Josh?"


Silence for ten seconds.


HARRY: "Having to take the Victoria Underline."


CUT!


Adorable.


I’ve been working with children a lot the past couple of years - and have come to the conclusion that WC Fields gave bad advice. I say DO work with children if given the chance – you may find that they’re more courteous, creative and focused than many adults you work with. And as a bonus: I’ve never laughed so much or had so much fun....


Do you work with kids? How do you find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment