Friday, 1 January 2010

In One Year and Out the Other


Happy New year from Ali and Lorelei!

What do you think of New Year’s resolutions?

I have mixed feelings. I love the idea of new beginnings - but I also know that old habits die hard!

So instead of personal resolutions about alcoholic units un-drunk and pies uneaten, this year I’m going to try some business New Year’s resolutions.

Here goes!

In 2010 I resolve to:

1. Embrace the technology! Even though we publish eBooks, I’ve resisted the idea of e-readers until now. A Christmas Kindle has changed all that – eBooks are fantastic! Now that I’m a fan, I’ll be better placed to produce and promote our eBook titles (and I resolve to get a handle on that whole metadata thing to relieve my business partner Ali from time to time!).
2. Develop/cultivate new writers. Digital publishing gives us the opportunity to take some chances – so I’m going to be alert to new talent and open to new ideas/subject matter.
3. Be a bit more frugal and remember that we have to sell a lot of downloads and eBooks to pay for everything from stamps to website design (Ali will be pleased to see this resolution - she doesn’t let me anywhere near the checkbook...).
4. Remember to ‘breathe’! Building our business is exciting, but can be overwhelming at times – but everything is do-able if I remember to ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’! (That’s a quote from our latest title ‘The Baby Juggler’ – the author pinched it from a WWII poster. It was good advice then and good advice now!)

Ali and I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year – and we’d love to know: What are your business New Year’s resolutions? -LK

Photo courtesy of Rochelle et al

No comments:

Post a Comment