Friday, 15 January 2010

Anyone for a Prog Blog...?


This week Al Muirden (CC director Ali's husband) talks about his passion for drumming, prog rock ... and working for Creative Content!

This week, I thought I’d combine two of the my BIGGEST passions…working with/for Creative Content (yes I really DO have a passion for it !) and music - particularly the (very general) genre known as “progressive” or “prog rock”…

As you can see, the picture has a pair of drumsticks to denote the fact that I am a drummer - I hesitate to use the word “musician” as many non-drummers do tend to look down a little at us poor drummers, but I’m lucky enough to be able to actually CREATE and PLAY music with my fellow musicians, as well as revel in listening and enjoying my heroes by LISTENING to the awesome music that has been created since the late 1960’s (albeit with a bit of an hiatus in the 80’s when “prog” really became a dirty word and many bands folded or just got overshadowed by the many other musical styles that became popular during that period…)

Thankfully now, progressive rock is back and now more than ever, covers a MASSIVE cross-section of styles - many bands are now PROUD to slot into the prog-rock category…

So, how do I combine the two occupations for this blog I hear you ask..!

Well on Wednesday evening last, I was listening with some of my fellow muso’s to a drum track that I had recorded using my electronic “digitised” drum kit, into my friends digital studio (long gone are the days of spooled tape I’m pleased to say !) and I had played the most awesome drum fill at the end of this track, but my flailing right hand drumstick caught a cymbal by mistake - it spoiled the fill, but by the magic of Pro Tools (the same software I use for editing here at Creative Content) we were able to isolate the rogue cymbal hit and just delete it, thus restoring the fill in all it’s glory and un-denting my pride !

This links neatly into editing audio for Creative Content - unfortunately, when an audio track is recorded (in CC’s case voices rather than drums !) it is rarely perfect (unless it happens to be Lorelei, in which case perfection is almost guaranteed !) and there are many things that need to be “edited” to tidy up the track ready for the final version to be passed - so rather than removing rogue cymbal hits, I tend to be removing noises, breaths, lip-smacks and general (dare I say it)…mistakes, so that our buyers and listeners have the best version possible…

So there we have it, a neat correlation between being a prog drummer and a Pro Tools editor - often the twain shall meet..!

Bye for now ! - AM

No comments:

Post a Comment